Which pest control products are safe for dogs and cats?
A study released today by the Canadian Veterinary Association (CVOA) found that all of the commercially available pest control sprays and the non-pharmaceutical alternatives are safe.
The research also found that the nonpharmacy sprays are less effective than the commercially-available products.
The research was conducted by Dr. Julie Pohl, the CVOA’s chief scientific officer, with support from the National Research Council and the Centre for Applied Ecology.
It’s the first comprehensive study of pest control spray efficacy to compare the effectiveness of different products in preventing fleas, ticks and mites.
“There are a number of products that have been marketed and promoted to be safe for pets,” Pohl said.
“But there are no published studies on the effectiveness or safety of those products for pets.”
Pohl said that most of the spray options were marketed to people who have pets.
She said the best sprays contain chemicals that have not been approved for use on pets.
“Most of the products are not designed to be used by pets, so the risk of exposure for pets is much higher,” she said.
The CVOA says it is concerned that the products on the market are less safe for animals than the products tested.
“A lot of people are not using the products in a safe manner,” said Dr. Marcie Foy, the veterinary medicine specialist.
“The products do not have the safety testing or other precautions required by the manufacturer.”
Pillowcase of Sprays is the latest in a long line of pet products to come under fire for their toxic ingredients.
In 2015, a pet product called Sprinkles was recalled by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) after a woman found a pill bottle containing traces of lead and arsenic in it.
The bottle also contained a product containing a pesticide called Bacillus thuringiensis, or Bt.
“This is an industry-wide issue that has led to a number products being recalled because of contamination,” said Foy.
“If you have an ingredient that is a toxin, you need to be careful about the dosage you’re taking.”
The FTC issued a recall of Sprinkies in September 2016 after a consumer complained about the amount of lead in the product.
It was also the subject of a federal probe.
The company was pulled from the market in October 2016 after the FTC said it was aware of three separate cases of food poisoning in pets.
In December, Sprinklers were pulled from shelves in the U of A, the University of Ottawa and several other Canadian universities.
In an email to CBC News, a spokesperson for Sprinkler Canada said the company had not received the report from the FTC.
The Canadian Veterinary Product Safety Board (CVPSB) issued a press release in June 2017 saying that all products manufactured for pets are required to be tested for all the approved pesticides and that this includes spray products.
Pohl told CBC News that the results of the new study show that Sprinklesticks and Pillows are not effective in preventing mites and fleas.
She also said that the Sprinklets products have been found to contain arsenic and other harmful ingredients.
“Sprinkles is a product that is being marketed for dogs, cats and dogs and people,” Poyls said.
“I am not sure why people are using Sprinkletys and Pillles for pets, and I think that the FDA has failed to consider the fact that there are people that can be exposed to these products.”
Poyls also noted that the CVPAs report on Sprinkleds and Pillowlets does not address the safety of any nonpharmacological alternatives to Sprinkly and Pillos.
She said she is disappointed with the way the FDA conducted its investigation.
“Unfortunately the FDA’s investigation was limited to one product and did not look at the entire product or the entire company,” Poys said.